Ethan Zuckerman, Director of the Center for Civic Media at MIT, and an Associate Professor of the Practice at the MIT Media Lab. His research focuses on the use of media as a tool for social change, the role of technology in international development, and the use of new media technologies by activists. He is the author of Rewire: Digital Cosmopolitans in the Age of Connection.
Topics explored in this episode:
- Did Ethan Zuckerman really invent the pop-up ad? (Yes, yes he did!)
- Does Facebook have more control over where we put our attention than we think?
- “How to fix facebook before it fixes us” – How Ethan predicted the Facebook crisis.
- How does Ethan’s experience bringing internet to West Africa affect his work at the MIT Media Lab?
- How does Ethan approach screen time with his own child?